US Silver Coin Prices & Melt Values
This app details exact silver coin prices down to the penny, these values are the result of taking the current spot price for silver and multiplying it by the silver content in the coin. US coins only sorry.
The term "melt value" does not imply the melting of the coin, it's a definition of the coins intrinsic value or worth.
Being able to quickly access the silver melt value of a coin means that you could possibly pick up a few non MS (Mint State) coins for less than their spot value.
- Kennedy Half Dollar 1965-1970 (40%) .1479 oz of silver $2.99
- Kennedy Half Dollar 1964 (90%) .3617 oz of silver $7.3
- Ben Franklin Half Dollar 1948-1963 (90%) .3617 oz of silver $7.3
- Walking Liberty Half Dollar 1916-1947 (90%) .3617 oz of silver $7.3
- Barber Half Dollar 1892 to 1915 (90%) .3617 of silver $7.3
- Mercury Dime 1916-1945 (90%) .0723 oz of silver $1.46
- Roosevelt Dime 1946-1964 (90%) .0723 oz of silver $1.46
- Barber Dime 1892-1916 (90%) .0723 oz of silver $1.46
- Washington Quarter 1932-1964 (90%) .1808 oz of silver $3.65
- War Nickel 1942-1945 (35%) .0563 oz of silver $1.14
- Morgan Dollar 1878-1921 (90%) .7735 oz of silver $15.62
- Peace Dollar 1921-1935 (90%) .7735 oz of silver $15.62
- Ike Dollar 1971-1976 (40%) .3162 oz of silver $6.38
How to Use This Tool?
This tool is great for snatching up silver coins that you might find at antique and pawn shops. Those coins listed by their numismatic value, a value that is often less than their general intrinsic value. Precious metal / bullion markets move like a rabid butterfly... arcing in what appear to be random directions.
Watch the markets and when you see a major up-tick in the price of silver go visit your local shop. Compare the price of the coins on their shelves, to the values listed above. If the prices listed at the store are far less than the values above then you can buy them all up and sell them to one of the many precious metal dealers. Online dealers like Apmex will usually give you near spot, or near spot with a fee allowing you to turn a fast profit. Make sure to call the buyer first so you can get them to disclose their fees and any caveat's that might eat away at your would be profits. If you don't you might find yourself taking a loss regardless of the spot price. Just trust us on this one. Most companies also require a credit card number as well, it allows them to hold and lock in that current rate.
How is Melt Value Calculated?
For the sake of simplicity the companies usually figure up values based on on coin face values x the value of a single dollar.
So the current value of $1 face is $14.6 <---- That is the live actual price.
It doesn't matter if you have 4 quarters, 10 dimes, or 2 halves. The melt value for $1 face is all the same.
Note of Importance: Morgans and Peace Dollars do not follow this rule, they are actually worth a bit more because they have slightly more silver than $1 face of dimes, quarters, or halves.
Use our face value calculator to figure out the value of your stack of 90% silver coins now.
It may seem strange to many people at first, but the value of the United States coinage used to get it's purchasing power from it's metal value. Or at least that's how it was meant to be. Don't believe us? Read the next paragraph.
"No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility." Wiki Source
Please Like and Share this Page
If you enjoy our content and would like more like it please let us know by sharing this resource with your friends. When content providers like CoinTrackers.com see tons of shares and likes they know the content is being used, and are encouraged to create more content like it.
- Troy Ounce vs Ounce-the difference between a Troy Ounce, and a standard ounce?
- Silver Coin Calculator-Enter the face value of bag of coins, a roll of coins, or even an individual coin to get the total melt value.
- 5 Ways to Find Junk Silver-Get your silver fix for a reasonable price
- Silver Prices Today-Get the current silver spot price updated every 15 minutes.
- Is my coin Silver?-Use our online handy dandy silver coin detector to see if the coin you are viewing contains silver or not.
- Coin Collecting Investment-Investing in a coin collection
Silver Spot Price Chart
Display on your website!
Copy the html above to display the graph on your website!
* Notice as of December 2006 it is illegal to melt down US Minted Pennies and Nickels, and there is a $10,000 fine to help enforce the law. It is legal however to melt down silver dollars, half dollars, dimes, quarters for their content.