Troy Ounce vs Ounce
"1 Troy ounce contains 2.75 grams more"...
So what is the difference between a Troy Ounce, and a standard ounce. This is a very common question, and one that most people have trouble answering without some reference.
Surprisingly there are 2 totally different methods for calculating silver/gold vs the method used to calculate everything else.
The most likely explanation is that Gold, Silver, and even Gun Powder are such universal and important materials, that a standard measurement system is not an option but a requirement. That unfortunately means that the people from the United States are at a small disadvantage, when it comes to properly measuring these things with the standard machines we might use in day to day life.
Exact measurements are as follows
- 1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams or 480 grains
- 1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams or 437.5 grains
Basic elementary school math will tell you that 1 Troy ounce contains 2.75 grams more of metal than the standard ounce. So an ounce of Gold would weight 2.7539537 grams more than an ounce of sugar.
Why does this matter?
Well if you are just buying a few ounces it might not seem like a lot, but if you are buying 10, or 100 ounces then the difference is significant. When you buy a 100 ounce bar and it weighs the same as 100 ounces of sugar you are loosing 8.85 troy ounces of metal. You can see now how this calculation error could be very costly.
Silver Spot Price Chart
Display on your website!
Copy the html above to display the graph on your website!
You may also like
- Silver Content US Coins-current spot price for silver multiplied by the silver content in the coin
- Current Junk Silver Bag Prices-The prices for the junk silver (90%) bags below reflect the average quantity of silver in ounces formulated with the silver spot price for today (updated every 10 minutes so prices are always current)
- Silver Coin Calculator-Enter the face value of bag of coins, a roll of coins, or even an individual coin to get the total melt value.
- 5 Ways to Find Junk Silver-Get your silver fix for a reasonable price
- Silver Spot Price-Get the current silver spot price updated every 15 minutes.
- Is my coin Silver?-Use our online handy dandy silver coin detector to see if the coin you are viewing contains silver or not.
- Coin Collecting Investment-Investing in a coin collection