- Year: 1928
- Mint Mark: No mint mark
- Type: Mercury Dime
- Price: $3.00-$280.00+
- Face Value: 0.10 USD
- Produced: 19,480,000
- Edge: Reeded
- Silver Content: 90%
- Silver Weight: .0723 oz.
- Melt Value: $1.67
Notes: The 19 million 1928 Mercury Dimes minted this year at the (p) Philadelphia Mint represent about 64% of all dimes issued. The other 2 mints put out the other 36% of the Winged Liberty / Mercury 90% silver dimes. When buying or selling Mercury Dimes full bands are key.
How much is a 1928 Mercury Dime worth?
This section is more of a layman's guide, for those new to collecting.
In Average Circulated (AC) condition it's worth around $3.00, one in certified mint state (MS+) condition could bring as much as $280 at auction. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say Average Circulated, we mean in a similar condition to other coins circulated in 1928, and mint state meaning it is certified MS+ by one of the top coin grading companies. *** [?].
If you are a fan of coin roll hunting or just want to learn more about mercury dimes then search or scroll below to find the most valuable and rarest in this series.
The most valuable Mercury Dime's. Prices listed are for MS-65 certified. Visit the link to learn more about each coin.
|Sign In or Register to see all content.|
Want more? Click here to see the most valuable coins ever minted.
Hardest to Find
The rarest and hardest to find Mercury Dime's Check out each link to learn more about each coin.
What is the rarest Mercury Dime?
Are 1928 Mercury Dimes Silver?
Yes! Mercury Dime's produced in 1928 are 90% silver to be precise, and contain .0723 troy oz or 2.248 grams in total of .999 pure silver. Silver weight is measured in troy ounces. Troy ounces weigh about 2 grams more than the standard ounce. CoinTrackers has built a tool that will let you know if your coin is silver or not. The tool is called Is My Coin Silver?.
Numismatic vs Intrinsic Value:
This coin in poor condition is still worth $1.33 more than the intrinsic value from silver content of $1.67, this coin is thus more valuable to a collector than to a silver bug. Coins worth more to a collectors may be a better long term investment. If the metal prices drop you will still have a coin that a numismatic would want to buy.
Want more info? Then read Coin Collecting Investment an article that details the benifits of coin collecting as a way to build wealth. Also learn how to properly store your coins.
Current silver melt value* for a 1930 S Mercury Dime is $1.67 and this price is based off the current silver spot price of $23.13 This value is dynamic so bookmark it and comeback for an up to the minute silver melt value.
***Price subject to standard supply and demand laws, dealer premiums, and other market variations. Prices represent past values fetched at online auctions, estate sales, certified coins being sold by dealers, and user submitted values. While we wholeheartedly try to give honest price estimates there are many factors besides appearance, metal content, and rarity that help make up the coins overall value. Call or visit your local coin dealer for more information.
We use user submitted pictures please read that article if you are interested in adding your own.