Notes: About 56% of all the Morgans issued in 1902 were minted at the New Orleans mint.
1902 Silver Dollar Errors
- Off Center Strike - When the die is misaligned with the planchet it strikes off center leaving a blank crescent on one side or the other. Most off center strikes for this year are marginal.
- Double Die - When a planchet is struck multiple times its called a double die strike error.
- Double Ear - This one may be attributed to a double strike, it may have been caused by a die error. Either way its an error that is known, and named..
- Lamination Error - There are known lamination errors for the 1902 Morgan
Key / Semi Key Dates
Key dates for Morgans are mostly set based on pure rarity.
- 1889 CC - rarest Morgan minted at Carson City in series with just 350,000 minted
- 1893 S - rarest Morgan minted at San Francisco in series with just 100,000 minted
- 1893 CC - another very scarce morgan with just over 600,000 minted
- 1894 - just 110,000 Morgans minted in Philadelphia this year making it the rarest from that mint
- 1895 - Just 770 proofs were issued
Better dates are not quite Key Dates but still very important.
- 1881 CC - pretty dang rare with just over 250,000 issued.
- 1885 CC - yet another CC with very low Mintage again just over a quarter of a million
Morgan Silver Dollar Grading
Learn how to grade Morgan Silver Dollars
This section is more for experienced collectors only, and rates refer only to professionally graded and slabbed coins. If you are new to collecting the prices below may not make much sense.
Breakdown of pricing per condition for 1902 O Morgan Silver Dollar as follows.
- Due to rarity alone the most valuable of the 1902 Morgans is that of the 1902 S Morgan Silver Dollar. Not sure what grade your coin is? Learn how to grade Morgan Silver Dollars
- Grade VG8 = $30-$50
- Grade F12 = $34-$56
- Grade AU50 = $49-$81
- Grade MS60 = $0-$125
- Grade MS63 = $135-$225
- Grade MS65 = $225-$375
- Grade MS67 = $1,500-$2,500
Is the list above a little overwhelming? If so, take 5 minutes to learn all about Coin Grading.
It's also important to note...Prices are subject to the same supply and demand laws as everything else. Coins sold at the same auction house 10x, would fetch drastically different bids each session. To raise your chances of receiving top dollar read How to Get the Most for your Coins.
We've personally researched these values. If you enjoy our content please return the favor and share this page with your friends.
How much is a 1902 O Morgan Silver Dollar worth?
In Average Circulated (AC) condition it's worth around $34.00, one in certified mint state (MS+) condition could bring as much as $320 at auction. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say Average Circulated, we mean in a similar condition to other coins circulated in 1902, and mint state meaning it is certified MS+ by one of the top coin grading companies. *** [?].
What are your coins really worth?
Use the handy-dandy calculator below to find the real value of any morgan silver dollar in your collection.
Overall Specs & Design
This coin has a total mass of 26.73 g, a diameter of 1.5 in, and a thickness of 2.4 mm. It's edge is Reeded, and the coins are composed of 90.0% Silver & 10.0% Copper.
Designer: George T. Morgan
Front (Obverse): Profile view of Lady Liberty looking to the left. The words "E Pluribus Unum" that translates to "Out of Many, One" referring to the many states that make the country the United States. The date is located at the center bottom. 13 stars circle the coin adjacent to the lettering. These represent the original 13 colonies.
Back (Reverse): The reverse is a bald eagle clasping arrows and an olive branch in its claws. This represents peace and war, as the United States is capable of both. The eagle's wings are spread out and it too is glancing to the left. The words "In God We Trust", "United States of America", and "One Dollar" are all present on the reverse as well.
The most valuable Morgan Silver Dollar's. Prices listed are for MS-65 certified. Visit the link to learn more about each coin.
|Sign In or Register to see all content.|
Want more? Click here to see the most valuable coins ever minted.
Hard to Find
What is the rarest Morgan Silver Dollar?
Are 1902 O Morgan Silver Dollars Silver?
Yes! Morgan Dollar's produced in 1902 are 90% silver to be precise, and contain .7735 troy oz or 24.05 grams in total of .999 pure silver. Silver weight is measured in troy ounces. Troy ounces weigh about 2 grams more than the standard ounce. CoinTrackers has built a tool that will let you know if your coin is silver or not. The tool is called Is My Coin Silver?.
Numismatic vs Intrinsic Value:
This coin in poor condition is still worth $16.29 more than the intrinsic value from silver content of $17.71, this coin is thus more valuable to a collector than to a silver bug. Coins worth more to a collectors may be a better long term investment. If the metal prices drop you will still have a coin that a numismatic would want to buy.
Current silver melt value* for a 1883 CC Morgan Silver Dollar is $17.71 and this price is based off the current silver spot price of $22.90 This value is dynamic so bookmark it and comeback for an up to the minute silver melt value.
***Price subject to standard supply and demand laws, dealer premiums, and other market variations. Prices represent past values fetched at online auctions, estate sales, certified coins being sold by dealers, and user submitted values. While we wholeheartedly try to give honest price estimates there are many factors besides appearance, metal content, and rarity that help make up the coins overall value. Call or visit your local coin dealer for more information.
We use user submitted pictures please read that article if you are interested in adding your own.